Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Name of Book: The Girl On the Train
Author: Paula Hawkins
Page Count: 336
I read It In: Hardback
Goodreads Overall Rating: 3.87
My Rating: DNF stopped at page 230

Goodreads Summary:Goodreads Summary: Goodreads Summary: EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

My Unpopular Opinion Review


Spoiler Free Sections:
Plot: For me, the plot was terribly slow and un-interesting after the first 50 pages. I feel like this is a book you read for the beginning and the end. When books have this kind of plot, the middle has to make up for the gap in the mystery. I don't feel like this book did.

Characters: The characters in this novel are not meant to be likable. I was totally okay with that, in fact I find it appealing. However the majority of them got on my nerves. They are adults, mind you adults are aloud and in fact sometimes immature, but I felt like this was a high school drama in a mystery.

Mystery: The mystery that is set up is very interesting and we have an unreliable narrator which was very engaging. This brings me back to the plot issue, I just could not make it through. The idea of a girl on a train watching someone else's life really had me going.... at first.

I looked up the ending and I was not pleased. I guess I don't really need to include a spoiler section.

With all of this being said, I do understand why people fell head over heals for this novel, I just wasn't one and that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment