Monday, October 3, 2016

The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle

The Accident Season 

Name of Book: The Accident Season

Author: Mora Fowley-Doyle

Page Count: 280

I Read it In: Paperback

Goodreads Overall Star Rating: 3.61 stars

My Star Rating: 3 stars


Goodreads Summary:


It's the accident season, the same time every year. Bones break, skin tears, bruises bloom.


The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember. Towards the end of October, foreshadowed by the deaths of many relatives before them, Cara's family becomes inexplicably accident-prone. They banish knives to locked drawers, cover sharp table edges with padding, switch off electrical items - but injuries follow wherever they go, and the accident season becomes an ever-growing obsession and fear.


But why are they so cursed? And how can they break free?


My Review: Some of this review is spoiler free, the last section will warn you that it contains spoilers, if you have not read it yet, please do not read after the warning and just go read the book instead.

Plot: The plot of this novel begins and ends. I mean that in, it has a strong beginning, and contrary to what I've read from other people, I feel that it ends. The whole Accident season mythology type idea really had me going. As a fan of fantasy, magical realism is a nice break from all of the kingdoms and whatnot. I was really intrigued with the back stories of the characters and how they all ended up where they did. There is also a slight mystery involved about a character and that's half of why I kept reading. For me, being a fantasy lover, I felt that the middle of the book seemed to drag on and I can see why some readers would get confused. For those of you who love contemporary with some magical realism and a hint of ghost you will love this!


Characters: The family involved in the accident season is the heart of this story. There are some secondary characters, and their stories are important too. I felt for all of the characters and I wanted to know more about them throughout the story. I don't read enough contemporary to really know if this aspect was well done, but it was for sure a character driven novel.


Life Issues Dealt With:
The Accident Season deals with issues that a lot of books do not. The author covered issues from "step brother-sister love," to lgbt to divorced families and domestic abuse. As an author that was risky but it was done well and added to the story.


Her Next Book: Don't forget the author has another book coming out in 2017 with a really cool premise. If you want to look it up on Goodreads it is called Spellbook of the Lost and Found.



For those of you who haven't read this yet, past this point contains spoilers so go do something else. :p





Spoilers: I can see why people complain about the ending, I do think it wrapped everything up in an interesting way but I felt like it could of been done slightly better and more conclusive. The part that I felt was unnecessary was the party and the events of that night. The whole channeling thing I didn't enjoy very much and that's coming from a lover of fantasy. I felt like that aspect really took away from what the book and made it rather confusing. On the other hand the explanation for Elise I thought was done perfectly. Overall I enjoyed the read, it was different from what I usually read and wasn't a waste of time. I'm just not jumping with joy over it.







No comments:

Post a Comment